Arguably, HR staff are the people in any business who need the best writing skills. You’re called upon every day to communicate with others, solve problems, and basically help the business run smoothly. When so much communication is done via writing these days, this means that your business writing skills need to be polished. Here’s some good tips to help you improve them.
Also read: How To Use Content Marketing As A Recruiting Tool
The most important thing when it comes to improving your writing skills is not to worry about it. Everyone has had that experience with an overcritical teacher, and fear of getting something wrong. Remember that no one is perfect, and gets it right 100% of the time. Commit to learning from your mistakes, and you’ll do well.
Work Out Your Objective
“Before you write anything, you need to know what your goal is,” says business writing expert Sandra Smith from Assignment Help. “This makes it easier to get across what you need from the reader. A good tactic many people use is to put the main point of the message in the very first sentence. This shows the reader exactly why you’re getting in touch with them.”
Get The Facts Right
No matter what you’re writing, it’s important to get all the facts right. Double check your work before you send it. Even a small mistake, like calling someone ‘Mrs’ Jones rather than ‘Ms’, can say a lot about you. You want to show that you pay attention and care about the details, so make sure you fact check before you hit ‘send’.
Put The Reader First
It’s amazing how often writers forget to do this. You need to ensure that the writer’s needs are at the centre of what you’re writing. As you create your message, ask yourself, ‘What will the reader get from this?’ If it’s not clear, you may need to go back and revise your writing.
Ask For Help When You Need It
No one gets better at any skill by going it alone. If you’re serious about improving your business writing skills, then you’ll need to get help from those who can give you a leg up. Talk to writing tutors, or find a trusted colleague who can look over your writing. They’ll be able to see where you need to improve, and offer suggestions when needed. Take this help when you can, as it’s invaluable.
Use Online Tools To Help
The best writing comes when you get expert input. That even goes for inter office messages and communications. Try using some of these tools to help you improve your business writing skills:
- Via Writing: This site is great if you’re looking to improve your grammar, as it hosts helpful grammar posts.
- Best British Essays: The tutors at this service can help you improve your grammar skills.
- State Of Writing: No matter what kind of writing guide you need, you’ll find it here in this website.
- Grade On Fire: The writers at this Huffington Post approved writing service (read the Dissertation Service article) can help you with anything you need to put together for work.
- Studydemic: This writing blog is a good site to follow, as it covers writing skills that are needed by all HR staff.
- Revieweal: This site offers proofreading assistance you can use before sending your communications.
- AcademAdvisor: This site hosts a writing community that will help you grow and improve as a writer.
Good writing skills are needed in any role, but especially in HR. Use these tips and tools to start improving your writing. It’s amazing how just a little work can drastically improve how you communicate.
Download the white paper and see how you can create an integrated, engaging employee experience using people analytics!
Image via Pexels.com
Leave A Comment