“Welcome to the real world. It sucks. You’re going to love it!”- Monica Geller just summed up our entire adult life. Where bills, jam packed schedules and deadlines govern your day, it’s all the more reason you should get a job. Thankfully a surge in employment opportunities has made things easier, but there’s still a lot to consider. Fresh graduates now face the dilemma of seeking part-time jobs instead of accepting conventional 9-5 jobs; even employers have shifted their preference, selecting candidates open to the idea of flexible working hours.
All about full-time jobs:
Full-time jobs best suit people who need a steady source of income. Such positions are generally preferred by adults who have to shoulder responsibilities of their families. With fixed working hours and a fixed pay scale (usually with regular bonus and promotions), a full-time job ensures stability and security. Also the conventional 9 to 5 work hours is pretty convenient for a person who wants a controlled and peaceful lifestyle.
- Full-time jobs offer you the much needed security and permanent employment
- The fixed working hours help you plan your day better
- It offers you a fixed source of income
- As an employer you’ll be getting more dedicated employees for your organisation
- Job security enhances employee’s performance and boosts productivity
- Not very lucrative for small scale enterprises
- Dull and monotonous for young people looking for something new
- Often employees become lazy and complacent in their job stability
- The long working hours are exhausting
- Increased work pressure, stress levels take a toll on your health
- Fixed jobs often limit a person’s growth opportunities
The deal with part-time jobs:
While full-time jobs are known for stability, part-time jobs are much more convenient. A rage among the youth, part-time jobs are best suited for fresh graduates who just want a bit of extra pocket money and exposure. It is also a smart option for retired employees who want to make some use of the extra time on their hands. Often part-time jobs are the training ground for ambitious candidates who want to gain experience and make it big in the industry. Hiring part-time employees is even profitable for an organisation as it’s cost efficient and time saving.
- Flexible working hours (great for students who can now balance studies and work)
- More exposure in the industry and better growth opportunities
- Candidates can also pursue other projects or activities in their free time
- Better income opportunities as you are not limited to just one job, take up as many as you want!
- Less stress and more fun, also good for your health
- Part-time employees can spend quality time with their families as well
- Hassle free and cost effective for the organisation
- Part-time employees can adapt better to the changing times and eager to learn
- Does not offer a steady source of income
- Part-time jobs are usually temporary and hence do not guarantee job security
- People working part-time are not as committed to their work as a full-timer
- Preferred mostly by fresh graduates and amateurs, part-time employees aren’t skilled or experienced to manage the tasks assigned
- Part-time jobs are often a distraction for students
- No incentives (medical benefits, insurance, pension etc.), salary hikes or promotion
- A haphazard and unsure lifestyle can be stressful and exhausting
- Not many reliable job sources for part-time candidates
Are part-time jobs reliable?
Many of them are. But part-time jobs are more likely to be used as a cover for bad faith offers. The internet is full of job listings that look tempting but result in very unpleasant consequences once you fall for them. From loss of personal information to monetary loss and even a criminal record, job scams are not to be taken lightly. Be prepared to wait for the right, credible employment option. One such job listing unearthed by Faith Stewart, where she talks about how Flexjobs has contributed to the recruitment sector. Read on to know more about the scams and how to identify one.
A well worded email from a recruiter or company:
Ever got a mail from a company that claims to have found your profile on a job portal and now wants to offer you a very lucrative offer, provided you join immediately filling in your personal info and deposit a certain sum of money? Do not fall for that.
Beware of appealing social media ads
Often social networking sites showcase ad postings by several small scale companies offering fresh graduates with well paid part-time jobs. Verify the authenticity of the job before you apply. Don’t hurriedly submit your personal details.
Fake recruiters masquerading as legitimate companies
There are also many cases where the fake companies trap gullible candidates. There are even bogus job portals and listings online that can cost you time, money, and peace of mind.
All in all, the type of job you choose should be based on your needs and wants, as well as what you want your career to be. If the job is a priority and you want to enjoy the stability of a secure workplace, a full-time job is the way to go. If you’re into travelling or you have several projects going on, a part-time job might be the better alternative.
[fusion_builder_container background_color=”#eaeaea” background_image=”” background_parallax=”none” enable_mobile=”no” parallax_speed=”0.3″ background_repeat=”no-repeat” background_position=”left top” video_url=”” video_aspect_ratio=”16:9″ video_webm=”” video_mp4=”” video_ogv=”” video_preview_image=”” overlay_color=”” overlay_opacity=”0.5″ video_mute=”yes” video_loop=”yes” fade=”no” border_size=”1px” border_color=”#d3d3d3″ border_style=”solid” padding_top=”20px” padding_bottom=”20px” padding_left=”10px” padding_right=”10px” hundred_percent=”no” equal_height_columns=”no” hide_on_mobile=”no” menu_anchor=”” class=”” id=””][fusion_builder_row][fusion_builder_column type=”1_3″ last=”no” spacing=”yes” center_content=”no” hide_on_mobile=”no” background_color=”” background_image=”” background_repeat=”no-repeat” background_position=”left top” hover_type=”none” link=”” border_position=”all” border_size=”0px” border_color=”” border_style=”” padding=”” margin_top=”” margin_bottom=”” animation_type=”” animation_direction=”” animation_speed=”0.1″ animation_offset=”” class=”” id=””][fusion_imageframe lightbox=”no” lightbox_image=”” style_type=”none” hover_type=”none” bordercolor=”” bordersize=”0px” borderradius=”0″ stylecolor=”” align=”center” link=”http://www.gethppy-dev-env.mystagingwebsite.com/employee-engagement-activities-for-business” linktarget=”_self” animation_type=”0″ animation_direction=”down” animation_speed=”0.1″ animation_offset=”” hide_on_mobile=”no” class=”CTABottomBlog” id=””] [/fusion_imageframe][/fusion_builder_column][fusion_builder_column type=”2_3″ last=”yes” spacing=”yes” center_content=”no” hide_on_mobile=”no” background_color=”” background_image=”” background_repeat=”no-repeat” background_position=”left top” hover_type=”none” link=”” border_position=”all” border_size=”0px” border_color=”” border_style=”solid” padding=”20px.” margin_top=”” margin_bottom=”” animation_type=”0″ animation_direction=”down” animation_speed=”0.1″ animation_offset=”” class=”innerPageForm” id=””][fusion_text]
Download the eBook and get practical ideas on designing employee engagement activities for your team!
[/fusion_text][fusion_button link=”http://www.gethppy-dev-env.mystagingwebsite.com/employee-engagement-activities-for-business” color=”custom” size=”large” stretch=”” type=”” shape=”” target=”_self” title=”” gradient_colors=”#e96b38|#e96b38″ gradient_hover_colors=”|” accent_color=”#ffffff” accent_hover_color=”” bevel_color=”” border_width=”1px” icon=”” icon_position=”left” icon_divider=”no” modal=”” animation_type=”0″ animation_direction=”left” animation_speed=”1″ animation_offset=”” alignment=”” class=”” id=””]Get your free copy[/fusion_button][/fusion_builder_column][/fusion_builder_row][/fusion_builder_container]