If you work in tech, the idea of no-code application development may not be an entirely new concept. By 2024, it’s predicted that 80 percent of app development will be done through low- or no-code tools. But what about HR?
HR is often an epicenter of applications at a company. As app development moves away from requiring a computer science degree, this will undoubtedly make HR the power users of no-code tools.
What is no-code?
The term “no-code” literally refers to software that requires no coding to create applications. The simplicity of this software allows those who wouldn’t normally be able to develop an app do so with very little effort.
Gone are the days of endless requests to your dev team whenever you need a new feature added to your employee management platform. With a no-code tool, your HR team can take app development into their own hands, without learning programming languages or requiring any technical help.
No-code software provides a user-friendly, drag-and-drop format that uses graphics and icons to create an application. It’s sometimes called a “graphical user interface,” or GUI-based software, as it’s based on images rather than code.
The ease of no-code app development frees up your IT developers to work on bigger, more complex projects for the company. It’s great for your department’s independence, and it lightens the load for your tech crew — definitely a win-win.
What are the benefits of a no-code tool in HR?
Most business units within a company could benefit from a no-code tool, but there are a number of HR-specific use cases. Organizing the job application process and managing current employees can be much smoother with a customized platform. Consider these benefits:
- Low cost. Hiring developers is not cheap. They are some of the highest-paid employees at your company, so you should save them for the big stuff. Plus, if you use a free no-code app builder, such as Jotform Apps, you won’t have to pay a dime for the apps your department needs. You’ll ultimately save money on hiring and software, and we could all use a bit more wiggle room in our budgets.
- Multi-purpose. Buying pre-built employee management software can be expensive, and it’s often useful only for HR. No-code software can be used within multiple departments for a number of use cases, so you don’t have to worry about whether it’s a good overall investment.
- Customizable. Have you ever purchased software that seemed to have more or fewer features than you needed? You won’t have to worry about that with no-code. You decide what to include in your apps and workflows — no bloated software and no feature gaps.
- Scalable. No-code software can grow with your company. If somewhere down the line you find the need for a new application, you can easily scale your platform. Pre-built software doesn’t always allow that flexibility.
- Let your developers breathe. You don’t need to stress your developers any more than necessary. No-code development clears up the IT backlog and lets your HR department take care of their own requests.
5 ways HR professionals can use no-code
The HR applications of the future will most likely be entirely created using no-code software. Here’s how you can get on the right track today.
1. Start with your recruiting process
Put your recruiters in the driver’s seat when it comes to creating job boards and a recruitment management system. After all, they know what features are most useful. If your RMS development is managed within HR, you can add new features whenever necessary, and you won’t need to elbow your way into your dev team’s next sprint.
2. Optimize your onboarding
New-hire communication, paperwork submissions, and centralized documentation are all a breeze with a no-code tool.
You want your onboarding process to go smoothly to keep your talent engaged and happy. If you put the app design work into the hands of your HR department, you can set up automated emails, decide where forms should be stored and who needs access, and create an employee hub for internal documentation. Just drag and drop a few icons to build your ideal workflow.
3. Create easy time-off and expense requests
Before you’re inundated with time-off requests for the holidays, consider setting up an easy approval process with no-code software.
You can create a calendar view for employees to submit their requests. And if you set up simple rules for approvals, the system can automate the approval process. You can do the same thing for expense reports; just add a calculator and a place to include bank account details.
4. Ace your performance reviews
Every company could use a good feedback system. A recent study found that 96 percent of employees surveyed around the world would like to receive regular feedback from management. It’s what encourages your employees to do their best work and acknowledges their achievements.
Use your no-code app to set up a review process that collects feedback from multiple employees. When you’re developing your own platform, you have the flexibility to create features like side-by-side review comparisons and a workflow that requires a certain number of feedback submissions.
5. Easily implement new policies
When it’s time to make a company-wide change, your HR team needs the proper tools to get the information out to the masses. If it requires signatures, approvals, or storing documents, your no-code app builder has you covered.
It’s also easy to meet any legal requirements by setting up a compliant approval system. You can automate all these tasks and more, plus keep the process flexible for any more changes ahead.
No-code is the future of HR because it puts the success of your department’s processes into your own hands. When it comes to creating the tools employees need to do their best work, giving them more autonomy will solve challenges more efficiently and open new doors for your company in the future.