Slouching over advanced machines to fall into the working pattern of an organization is the confinement many employees are hired into. With the growth in the rate of unemployment and the desperate hunt for jobs, organizations across the globe realized the need for paving well-structured working avenues that restrain constriction. Extracting every resource to the fullest has always been the priority, of which, the active workforce runs more than half the race for a company. Value of employees and the need to leverage their prowess came as a late epiphany to several enterprises. Setting up a false façade to impress the employees in the initial phase of hiring will detonate the company in stages. Organizations strived towards bringing a difference in the work culture, inevitably giving rise to the buzzword of the era-Employee Engagement. Although the concept of engagement has existed since time immemorial, the definition of this term comes in various forms, most of which have the employees’ happiness and satisfaction linked to it. Engaged employees are the ones who have a well-established work ethic and commitment to the company’s goals. Payment isn’t the only factor that drives engagement; the whole environment contributes to bringing every employee on the track of achieving excellence.
Importance of Employee Engagement
Not everyone on a desk is equally industrious; some stoop into the monitors for hours to generate half the results of employees who spend merely an hour on a task. Time spent on a piece of work has no proportionate relation with the quality. Being invested in the respective roles to take up responsibilities and fulfilling them is imperative in an organization than working the routine to complete each day’s work and leave.
- Several studies have been conducted on this subject, with the results showing more than 21% productivity difference between the less engaged and highly engaged employees. A good team that requires no daily mental fuel to work towards achieving a common goal is the height of engagement. With better engagement comes higher productivity, and consequently, an impressive customer satisfaction.
- The invested employees do not work for the money alone, but also for the love that develops each day. When passion meets contentment, commitment is never too far away to be achieved. As everything within the workspace starts falling in place to seamlessly fit all the employees in the organizational structure, retaining the existing people becomes more effortless. Declining retention rate can only be solved by vitalizing the roots of engagement. A domino effect is likely to set in when the best employees quit the job.
- Engaging employees need not necessarily shoot the company higher on the profit table. Results generated would be in the form of personal or team success when a committed group is assigned a task. A spectacular work culture starts developing in the process of creating highly engaged employees. When one’s worth is proved through his/her work, productivity comes along, and impactful measures would also flow in at each stage of dealing with escalations.
Guidelines to Develop Employee Engagement
Changes to the existing policies are mandatory when methods of assigning work to people are proving to produce minimal results. Providing employees with comfort and security cements their position in the company, which the HR professionals must ensure to sustain the organizational stability.
- Decisions taken to improve engagement should prove to be beneficial, which, when turns out to be a debacle would crash the whole organization in a short period. Invest time into figuring out what to add to the list of employee perks, and subsequently an investment of money into it. Employees will have a certain level of expectation which has to be met to retain your best people. Everything from a monthly bonus to life insurance has to be enlisted to be invested in. As you will know how much life insurance you need to overcome the potential perils in life, so has to be the case when you fix a particular rate for the policy that you provide for the employees.
- Every strategy adopted by the professionals in leveraging the competency of employees should be regularly checked and rectified if required. It would help if you determined the most critical sections that need to be invested in enhancing employee engagement.
- Communication with employees is the key to understanding their requirements to produce better results. Performance reviews, employee surveys, coaching and mentoring, and discussions on building better careers are just a few of the methods to directly approaching the employees and learning their concept of a happy workspace to develop the nearly perfect one.
Life ebbs out of an organization when the virtue of commitment is lost. Engaging the employees is the crucial step to stabilizing the organization by letting the work to flow faster in the predetermined direction. Understand the importance of setting up employee engagement and develop strategies for building a powerful organization. Results and culture are always reflections of a good employee engagement, which needs to be ensured to take the company to unmatchable heights.